The town’s name derives from “Cathedral Canyon” to the south of the town, so named in 1850 by Colonel Henry Washington because its rock formations were reminiscent of a Cathedral. The city itself started as a housing subdivision in 1925, but was not incorporated until 1981. The city grew in population several times over during the next two decades.
Locals gave it the nickname “Cat City”, and it had a reputation as a gaming gulch in the late 19th century, and a safe haven for bars or saloons during prohibition of the 1920s.
“Cat City” has a total area of 21.8 square miles. The population is approximately 53,000. There are 20,995 housing units and 17,047 households. The median age is 36.0 years and the medium family income is approximately $42,000. One third of Cathedral City consists of one-square-mile land parcels owned by the Agua Caliente Indian Reservation.
Cathedral City is making a comeback. After languishing for the past decade, Cathedral City has been re-discovered. There is a great deal of re-modeling and re-furbishing being done and we expect the city’s turnaround to continue because the price of fixers is the lowest along the Palm Springs/Indian Wells axis.